Stairs are not only used to go up or come down. The staircase is considered as one of the most elegant designer pieces in your home. In different countries, the material used to make a staircase is different. For example- usually in Italy the material used to make staircase is glass whereas in the US the custom stairs are made up of wood.
Information and Guidelines
There are certain requirements that should satisfy the construction rules of the specific area. If you are living in New York, to install custom stairs, it must meet that area’s building code specifications.
To install a staircase in your home; Structural engineering calculations and permits are the main requirements. If the concerning authority approves, you can fix the staircase in your home.
Are you seeking to approve and install a stunning custom staircase? And wondering- What permits do you require? How to choose engineer? Here are some necessary precautions to consider. These are-
- Design- Pick your desired custom stair design. Choose the wood type. As there are various types of wood materials that are used to build a custom staircase. Select the materials for the railing and treads. Specify that area where you want to place the staircase in your house to your engineers. Because after seeing the space the drawing for the stair will then be issued.
- Engineering- This part will be done of course by the engineer or by the expert team. Engineering section includes all the evaluations, calculations required to build stairs that meet the area’s construction code of requirements.
- Pulling Permits- The staircase manufacturers will give the final design with every mentioned specification to the approval authority to get the permits. Every city’s requirements are different. Hence, hire a local general contractor to pull the permits and install the stair.
- Fabrication- After all design, engineering and permits fabrication of stairs is done. Generally, this process is done at the manufacturer’s facility.
- Installation- This is the final step. After fabrication, the staircase will then be delivered to your house. After completing the installation process, you can enjoy the royal look of the stunning staircase in your home.
If you don’t have the knowledge of the specific codes required to install custom stairs in the state of New York, it’s better to have the professionals advice.