A poorly designed staircase suffers lack of strength, beauty, convenience and durability. However, all these factors also depend on the material that is used to build stairs. Many options are available when it comes to material. But first you need to choose right type of stairs.
If your are choosing straight staircases, then here are some different options that you would like to see in your house.
- Straight run with a single flight
- straight run with a series of flight
- Parallel stairs
- Angle stairs
- Scissors stairs
After choosing the right type, you can move on to the materials. Following are some of these options:
- Timber: It is the traditional option, which is strong, versatile, and easy to work with. It may require regular maintenance but a wooden staircase looks elegant and versatile. Every single piece of timber is different from the other piece, so it provides versatility. It also increases value because of the color difference in all pieces. Choose the kind of wood and color that will suit your staircase the best.
- Glass: Glass staircases allow the light to flow easily between rooms and different levels in a house. These stairways are made up of two or three layers of glass that are laminated together to make the structure strong. It offers a large variety in colors and designs. It is a good option to add contemporary glamour to your interior. Glass stairs are well complemented with metallic handrails.
- Metal: These are less heavy in appearance than timber and perfect for straight or spiral stairs. They look great with glass railings.
- Stone or concrete: Stone or concrete stairs will give your house a traditional look. For interiors, stones like marble and granite, are used as a cladding material for concrete and brick staircase. Stone is extremely durable, easy to maintain and moisture resistant.
All these materials will significantly help to add to the elegance of your home. Look of the staircase will lend the desired theme to your home.
Staircase is an important part of your home décor, which is why it requires special attention when selecting the type of stairs. There is no shortage of styles, as you can make your selection from some of the most popular styles that can include straight, curved, U type, L type, spiral, etc. Sometime the selection can become difficult, as it requires many considerations. However, straight staircases have always been a popular choice for the property owners and been used in both commercial and residential buildings.
Following are the main reasons behind their steady popularity.
Affordable– It is an ideal choice for people with limited budget, as it is cheaper than other types of staircases. It is because its construction process is much simpler and requires less time as compared to curved and U-shaped. It means reduced labor costs during both building and installation process.
Simplicity– If you prefer something simple, these stairs is the perfect option. These stairs are simple and elegant, especially when made with wooden materials. Therefore, if you plan them carefully with the help of an expert, you can achieve simple and durable staircases.
Safety– When it comes to safety, this type is high preferable, as the risk of falls and misplaced steps is minimal. On the other hand, other types such as curved stairs can be little complicated and require special attention while using.
Suitability- Another factor behind rapid popularity of this type is its suitability to match the interior of every building. It can ideally fit in the house regardless of the fact whether house has a modern or traditional interior.
Which is the best material?
There is a wide range of available options, when it comes to the selection of material for your staircase. However, wood remains one of the most preferred choices because of its numerous benefits. It is a beautiful and renewable material that gives your property a new and fresh look.
Wood is a perfect choice of material for the nature lovers and requires less maintenance as compared to other available options. Having a wooden staircase also increases the levels of safety, especially if you have kids or older people at home.